Through a variety of programs, Minnesota Fringe works with 1,000+ artists each year to create adventurous performing arts experiences featuring an array of genres, and supporting the development of new, adventurous work.
The 2022 Minnesota Fringe Festival will feature 119 live, in-person shows in theaters located in the Cedar-Riverside and Uptown neighborhoods.
- Anyone can apply to be an artist in the Fringe Festival and, if selected via lottery, are guaranteed
a slot. A show whose lottery number is not selected is placed on a waiting list in case previously selected performers drop out. Producers will be paid 70% of box office receipts based on tickets sold for individual performances. More information can be found on our Festival Application Information page.
- To ensure a wide range of artists can participate, we offer three producer funding opportunities to help tackle costs of normal festival participation: our Fee Deferment Program, allowing artists to deduct their producer fee from their final box office payout (meaning $0 paid in advance); Festival Artist Grants and a Solo Festival Artist Grant, which cover up to 100% of producer fees in full, creating an opportunity for a limited number of artists to produce their show for a $0 fee. All initiatives are managed and selected by Fringe's Artist Committee, a volunteer group of artists who have participated in past Fringe programming.
Additional Minnesota Fringe programs will be placed on a temporary hold as the organization reorganizes its staff to focus on the festival sustainability throughout the global pandemic.
- The 2021 Minnesota Fringe Hybrid Festival featured virtual pre-recorded and live shows and in-person independently produced live shows at a variety of locations around the Twin Cities Metro Area. Producers were paid 75% of box office receipts based on tickets sold for online or live performances.
- In 2020, we pivoted our flagship festival to become an online offering during a global pandemic. Artists participated in the Virtual Festival in one of two ways: By submitting to be selected for a one-time live performance during the Nightly Fringe -OR- featuring their show on our Digital Hub where audience members who purchased a Fringe Button could view content.
Beyond the Box
- Beyond the Box is a collaborative project with the Downtown Improvement District that incubates artists in a peer-learning format to craft their own 10-20 minute performances which take place on Nicollet Mall in Downtown Minneapolis. All productions are free to the public and performed in public spaces.
Drafts & Draughts
- Drafts & Draughts is Fringe's multidisciplinary scratch night, featuring 4-6 snippets of staged new work. Presenting works-in-progress
in a casual atmosphere provides artists with a supportive audience. Artists work with Fringe staff to design and receive feedback on
the specific questions needed to push their work further. Drafts & Draughts runs the gamut, featuring theatre, dance, improv, storytelling,
spoken word, magic, and more.
- Fringe Presents is Fringe's annual curated offering around a unifying theme or concept. There is no application process, but artist are welcome to submit their work samples or proposals via email@example.com from September to May annually.